Wednesday, July 10, 2013

So, a blog post eh?

     We’ll I’ve been toying with the idea of spending some time blogging again for a while now. I really liked it when I was playing my priest, and feel comfortable enough with the Monk class to put my thoughts out there. I find myself in a strange predicament. I haven’t played my prest in a bit, so that blog is now, and will have to stay dead (although I recently DID level him to 90 and have begun LFRing). I play my monk tank now exclusively and have a few ideas for posts, but how do I start when my last post was during MOP beta? I guess this post will be that boring one where I tell my whole WoW story as an introduction and get to more of the posts I’d like to be doing afterwards. I don’t like doing posts like this, but I think it’s necessary for me to just start typing and get things going. That’s the real reason I’m doing this. I fought down the inclination to say that I think this is a better way to start the blog than jumping right in; so as to give context in my observations in light of my past in game expierences. But that’s not true. I’m just not a good writer and need to type out a bunch of stuff to get my head in the right place. You’ve been warned not to read this post. J

So I started WoW in 2005 as a warrior on the US Uldum server. I tried a few guilds while leveling, but never found a good fit. Eventually I made my way to a guild being formed from a few server transfers from Earthen Ring. That guild ended up being called Hero, and was my first real taste of 40 man raiding. Being in early, and a devoted researcher and hobbyist theory-crafter, I soon was promoted to Warrior Class Officer. That was an interesting experience. I played tank most of that time, but later switched to fury when the roster got fairly full on people who wanted to be tanks. I still remember tanking Ony @ level 60 as a fury warrior in defensive stance because all of the other tanks had went down. Just after the kill, one of my warriors pointed out that I had Blessing of Salvation on the entire time I was tanking. We were OP. We cleared BWL (got Nef the eve of 2.0), and parts of AQ40 before BC hit.

     BC was a big shock to my guild. We did not make the transition to 25s very well, with most of the guild splintering off to find new group due to the culling of some of their friends from the roster. I took this as a sign that I should try something new. My best friend rerolled Tankadin from warlock, and I switched to a Holy Priest. It was a great deal of fun. We never found a permanent guild-home for BC, however we were able to fill in for other guilds all though the duration of that expansion that didn’t need fulltime players, but skilled fill-ins.

     Wrath found me in a better position. Still searching for a guild to call home, we hooked up with a guild named Knights Club late in the life of Naxx. Their guild website was  amazing (web designer in the guild). They raided with a bunch of guys who worked for TiVo in a guild called Now Playing. We all got along great. We destroyed Naxx, Ulduar and ToC, and merged into AlliedArsenal. I loved the raiding model in Wrath. 10s and 25s every week. We got LK HM down @ the 5% buff on 10m. 25s were slower going due to the attendance boss, but got there eventually. Sometime after the RS patch dropped, real life interceded. My job required a different schedule. I was an East Coaster raiding on a West Coast server who had to report to work 2hrs after raids ended. Four of my real life buddies were in the same boat. We all had to make the same call, and it sucked. We all hated leaving friends behind, but transferred to Stormrage anyway.
Stormrage is a shock to the system after Uldum. The population there is amazing. You actually can’t walk out of the AH without something selling. Doesn’t matter what it is, I sold grey junk there all the time. All my buddies and I joined up with a guild call Indecent Exposure. We finished Wrath server 3rd, on a very competitive server.

     Cata dropped. Someone reported our guild name as offensive (trolling I think). The guild leader took a pole, and we became BiS. He was a real force of nature. We killed bosses because he rode the raid with an iron will. He called people out for anything. He would stop a boss fight mid attempt and make us all wipe if we looked too sloppy. We killed everything. Then he left. Not sure I really blame him. He got a chance to raid with a top 20 world guild that shall remain nameless. The guild did not fare so well. The new guild master didn’t really want the job. We cleared BWD, but things really started to fall apart in the Fire Lands. I decided to leave WoW for a while and play SWTOR. It’s like the opposite of WoW; fun to level, boring after that.

     My buddies asked me to try WoW again after a six month hiatus. LFR had just been implemented, and I was done with SWTOR. I leveled another warrior, worgen this time. It was fun, and easy, and the perfect lure to get me back into WoW. I tanked again in 5 mans, but DPSed in LFR.
MOP was announced. My buddy Sal and I decided we were going to reroll Monk, since we didn’t have any real guild attachments needing us at 90 asap. He wanted to try healing, and that was fine with me. I had really gotten into playing my warrior anyway and had reacquired a taste for melee. We pre-ordered the downloadable (for the 1st time, I miss the midnight shenanigans), and skipped all the midnight server crashing woes. I cleared my schedule, got up at 6am, showered, ate, and basically prepared like I was going to work. We played for about 20hrs. that first stretch. My ass and wrist hurt for the next 4 days, and it was epic. I think we just hit 60 when we finally logged.

     About 2 months ago, our old guild leader from Uldum got in touch with us through Real ID. They had pared down to 10s via attrition during Cata, and was in need of a tank and healer. Our work scheduled had finally cleared up, and with no real reason to stay on Stormrage any longer, server transferred back. Most of the people in the guild are ones I know very well. They are a tight knit group. I’m not sure what tensions were going on before I got there, but the 2nd week of ToT, there was some kinds of minor altercations (very rare with this group), and they lost a healer, and 3 dps, all of whom were not people I knew very well from my time on that server. We had to keep rebuilding.
     
     That brings us up to present. We’ve just cleared ToT which puts up in 10th place on the server. The team is fairly stable now, we are killing bosses again. The mood is very relaxed for the most part, and we have a guild alliance with another smaller team that helps ensure that we can fill spots when someone from out tight little group needs a night off for something.

     No more Brew history lessons in this blog. From now on I will be focusing on Monk tanking, boss mechanics, macros, UI and observation on the game. If you read all of this, what the hell is wrong with you!?
p.s. the site is ugly now. The only thing I won’t be changing is the name.

    Cheers, ~Brewfu

No comments:

Post a Comment